Local Events in Southport, NC That You Must Visit
There are many historical sites to see in Southport, North Carolina. However, there are some local events that you can’t miss. The yearly events should be marked on your calendars so you have a chance to be a part of the Southport community. Make note of the popular local events going on in town.
- Independence Day Festival: You will never see patriotism more alive than during the 4th of July Festival. The celebration has occurred for over 200 years, and is considered to be the first town to even celebrate 4th of July. Around 40,000 to 50,000 come from all over the country to see the celebrations, which include parades and fireworks. See their grand way of commemorating their nation.
- The 100th Anniversary Car Show: This car show is probably one of the biggest in the country. People come from across the globe to register their cars for this event. There are hundreds of models, both classic and new, that display centuries of car artistry and history. This is an all-day event and you get bet you will need the entire day. The best part: it’s free admission!
- Military Appreciation Day: Troops are shown their support for their service. What better way that to dedicate a day just for them. Troops are taken fishing on the Southport/Oak Island area. There are also various activities throughout the day, and in various locations across Southport, meaning it’s not in one location all day long. Have a great day wherever you go!
- Amuzu Theater: Depending on the day, take in a local show at the Amuzu Theater. The recently restored location still holds the characteristics of the 1920s, while bringing in modern elements after its renovation. They have performance from locals, so it’s a local theater with shows provided by their own people. Get a taste of the Southport culture here!
- Southport Summer Concerts: Yes, the town even has concerts in the park. Relax under the evening sun in Franklin Square Park while listening to music from the artists of the week. It costs nothing, you simply have to bring your own blankets or chairs to sit on—and maybe a few snacks. This events occur every Thursday evening of the summer, so if you are in Southport on a Thursday, check out the band of the night.
- First Friday Gallery Walk: During the first Friday of every month, art galleries in Southport work together to promote art and culture. Whether you are just passing by or are an art enthusiast, check out the art galleries open to all in downtown Southport. You will get a taste of the art and culture that makes the town so popular.
- Waterfront Market: Visit the Southport Waterfront Market that is held every Wednesday morning from 8a.m. to 1p.m. Held on Fort Johnston Garrison Lawn, the market overlooks the Cape Fear River as a bonus. See the beautiful local product—such as produce, baked goods, and handcrafted items—while enjoying the cool breeze from the river. The shade from the live oak tress on the lawn provides a great atmosphere for you while you look around the market and shop. Top it off with musical entertainment and you are guaranteed to have a great time.
- Oak Island Art Guild Arts & Crafts Festival: This is held every year during the end of summer. With over 100 artists participating every year, you will never know how the time passed. There are art pieces, handmade crafts, and festival food. Any profits made is used to support the Art Guild of Southport.
You will find that Southport has local events almost every day of the week. You will never be bored, and you will get a taste of the art, culture, and people that love the historical town.
A+ Pro Services Inc.
Your exterior cleaning specialists – window cleaning, power washing and gutters.
Cities Served – South Carolina
North Myrtle Beach, Cherry Grove, Little Rive, Longs, Loris, Myrtle Beach Surfside Beach, Conway, Carolina Forest